If you want to divide a parcel of land into smaller lots, you'll need to apply for either:

Before you begin your project, contact us to determine the zoning requirements for your property and which application is appropriate. Staff may suggest that you book a Preliminary Meeting to further discuss the requirements for your project.

We will also confirm if you will need to attend a Pre-Consultation (DART) Meeting to obtain application requirements.

What is Part Lot Control?

Section 50 (7) of the Planning Act states that part of a lot on a registered plan of subdivision can't be transferred to a new owner without the approval of the municipality. This prevents lots in a subdivision by being further subdivided.

Exemption from the part lot control provisions of the Planning Act allows lots to be subdivided without requiring approval from the Committee of Adjustment or the submission of a new plan of subdivision.

Exemption from part lot control is appropriate when a number of land transactions are involved, but the resulting changes won't affect the nature or character of the subdivision. This often happens with the division of blocks for townhouses and semi-detached homes and for the development of industrial subdivisions.

Prepare Your Application

You will have an opportunity to discuss your proposal with staff before submitting an application. This may help eliminate delays and costs. 

It is recommended that you review the Exemption from Part Lot Control Application Manual to better understand the process and requirements. Contact us to request this document.

To complete the application form, you will need to have the following documents with you:

  • Property owner(s) contact information, including name, address, phone number and email address (as identified on their government-issued I.D.)
  • Your (applicant) contact information, including name, address, phone number and email address (as identified on your government-issued I.D.)
  • Property information such as municipal address, roll number/ARN and legal description
  • Details of the proposed application
  • Property closing date
  • Supporting material and documentation in PDF format as per the Town's Electronic Submission Requirements

The Town is not commissioning any applications at this time. Please contact a lawyer or notary public to have your application commissioned. All applications must be commissioned.

Apply for an Exemption from Part Lot Control

Submit your application online:

When you submit the online form, a copy of the form and all submission material is sent to Town staff. A copy is sent to you as well. Town staff will then contact you to discuss the application and receive fee payment.

Planning staff recommend submitting Part Lot Control applications 2-3 months* in advance of closing dates. Please see recommendations below.

Closing Date Range Recommended Minimum Submission Date* Council Meeting Date
July 2, 2024 to July 30, 2024 March 25, 2024 June 25, 2024
July 31, 2024 to September 3, 2024 May 23, 2024 July 23, 2024
September 4, 2024 to October 1, 2024 June 27, 2024 August 27, 2024
October 2, 2024 to October 29, 2024 July 24, 2024 September 24, 2024
October 30, 2024 to December 3, 2024 August 22, 2024 October 22, 2024
December 4, 2024 to December 24, 2024 September 26, 2024 November 26, 2024
December 25, 2024 to February 4, 2025 October 17, 2024 December 17, 2024

*Planning staff recommend that the applicant submit the complete application package before this date. The complete application package includes the application form, fee, deposited R-plans and other required material. The applicant is responsible for depositing the R-plan and must consider any additional timelines to do so. Please note that if revised material is required, additional time will be needed to process the application and the timelines noted above will no longer apply.