Committee of Adjustment

Committee of Adjustment


The Committee of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial body that considers applications for minor variances, consents and validation certificates pursuant to the Planning Act

A minor variance application is required when a proposed project requires relief from the Town’s Zoning By-law provisions such as building height (maximum), driveway width (maximum) or rear yard set-backs (minimum).

A consent application is required when a property owner wants to sever a portion of their lot to create a new lot or adjust a lot line.


Starting a new project? 

To determine what approvals are required, contact the following divisions prior to completing an application or request an Inquiry Meeting with the Development Team by contacting 905.584.2272 x.7338.

Request an Inquiry Meeting

Apply Online

You have an opportunity to discuss your proposal with staff before submitting an application. This may help reduce delays and cost.

When you submit the online form, a copy of the form and all submission material is sent to you as the Applicant and Town staff. Town staff will contact you to discuss the application and obtain payment.

 Application Submission Process

1. Review the Minor Variance Application Manual or Consent Application Manual

2. Request a Preliminary (PARC) Meeting to review your application with planning staff prior to submitting the application. 

3. Complete and submit the application form, you will require the following:

  • Contact information, including name, address, phone number and email address (as identified on their government-issued I.D.) for the property owner(s) and agent (if applicable) 
  • Preliminary Meeting Date and Town Staff Names 
  • Property information such as:
    • municipal address,
    • roll number/ARN, 
    • legal description, 
    • Greenbelt Plan designation, Niagara Escarpment Plan designation and/or Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan designation
    • Region of Peel Official Plan designation
    • Town of Caledon Official Plan designation
    • Zoning of the property and the applicable Zoning By-law Number (i.e. Zoning By-law 2006-50, Zoning By-law 87-250, or other site specific by-law)
    • If the property is regulated by a Conservation Authority and if so, which Conservation Authority
    • The planning applications applicable to the property including the status and file number
  • Supporting material and documentation in PDF format:
    • Site Plan or Sketch Plan
    • Legal Opinion (for a Validation Certificate)

4. The Secretary-Treasurer will contact you to confirm receipt of the application and to arrange payment for all associated fees.

5. Following the submission of the 'complete' application the Secretary-Treasurer will contact you with a hearing date.

Please note: An application is only deemed 'complete' when it has been commissioned and payment of all associated fees and submission of all material required by agencies and departments has been received.

 Hearing Process
  1. Once the application is deemed 'complete' the Secretary-Treasurer will provide you with a hearing date and confirm if you are participating in-person or remotely at the hearing.  If you choose to participate remotely, you will receive an email containing the Cisco WebEx meeting invitation.

  2. The hearing agenda will be published one (1) week prior to the hearing date and can be accessed through the Council and Committee Calendar on the Town's website. 
  3. At the hearing, you, the applicant, or your agent will be provided an opportunity to provide any new information regarding the application not previously submitted to the Town.  

  4. The Committee will be provided an opportunity to ask questions about the application and receive responses from Town staff and/or the applicant.

  5. Members of the public will be provided an opportunity to make verbal and written submissions regarding the application.

  6. The Committee will make a decision on the application. 

  7. Following the hearing the Secretary-Treasurer will issue a notice of decision, you will receive the notice of decision via  mail.
 Appeal Process
  1. Following a hearing the Secretary-Treasure will issue a notice of decision for each application. Any person or public body may appeal a decision of the Committee of Adjustment, no later than twenty (20) days following the notice of decision. 
  2. Complete the Notice of Appeal form available on the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) website
  3. Submit the Notice of Appeal form to the Secretary-Treasurer by email at 
  4. The Secretary-Treasurer of the Committee of Adjustment will contact you with the appeal fee and payment method.
  5. Following the submission of the Notice of Appeal and associated fees the OLT will contact you with additional details. 

Agendas and Minutes

The Committee of Adjustment hearing agendas, minutes, live stream and video recordings are available through the Council and Committee Calendar.  

2024 Hearing Deadlines 

* All Hearings start at 1:00 p.m. 
Hearing Date Deadline to Submit 
Applications to Secretary-Treasurer
Sign Pick Dates Deadline to Post Consent Sign  Deadline to Post Minor Variance  Sign                    
January 24, 2024 December 11, 2024 January 9 and 10, 2024   January 10, 2024  January 12, 2024 
February 21, 2024  January 19, 2024 February 6 and 7, 2024  February 7, 2024 February 9, 2024
March 20, 2024 February 16, 2024 March 5 and 6, 2024  March 6, 2024 March 8, 2024 
April 17, 2024 March 15, 2024 April 2 and 3, 2024  April 3, 2024 April 5, 2024 
May 15, 2024 April 12, 2024 April 30 and May 1, 2024   May 1, 2024 May 3, 2024
June 12, 2024 May 10, 2024 May 28 and 29, 2024 May 29, 2024 May 31, 2024
July 10, 2024 June 7, 2024 June 25 and 26, 2024 June 26, 2024 June 28, 2024
August 7, 2024 July 5, 2024 July 23 and 25, 2024 July 24, 2024 July 26, 2024
September 4, 2024 August 2, 2024  August 20 and 21, 2024 August 21, 2024 August 23, 2024
October 9, 2024 September 6, 2024 September 24 and 25, 2024  September 25, 2024 September 27, 2024
November 13, 2024 October 11, 2024 October 29 and October 30, 2024 October 30, 2024 November 1, 2024
December 11, 2024 November 8, 2024 November 26 and 27, 2024  November 27, 2024 November 29, 2024

 * Note: Applications submitted without a Preliminary (PARC) Meeting may be deferred with costs. Please notify the Planning Department if you choose to proceed with a Preliminary (PARC) Meeting

Attend a Hearing 

The Secretary-Treasurer will provide you with details on how to participate in the hearing. 
Members of the public wishing to express their opinion on an application

If you wish to speak to a specific application listed on the agenda package, please register in advance by completing the electronic registration form.

Register to Delegate

Note: Complete and submit your electronic registration form prior to the start of the scheduled hearing.

Alternatively, you can submit comments in writing before the hearing to All comments submitted are considered public information and will be entered into the public record.

Members of the public wishing to watch a Hearing
All hearings are streamed live on the Town's website through the Council and Committee Calendar


The Committee of Adjustment is comprised of seven members of the public that have a background in planning, real estate, legal, engineering or agriculture.