Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that you can't see, smell or taste. Over 65 per cent of all deaths and injuries from carbon monoxide (CO) happen in homes.

You must have a working carbon monoxide (CO) alarm outside of all sleeping areas in your home. For added protection, it is recommended that you install carbon monoxide (CO) alarm on every storey of your home.

Make sure that you never use outdoor fuel-burning appliances such as barbeques, camping stoves, and propane heaters in your home. Only use them outdoors.

Know what to do

A working carbon monoxide (CO) alarm gives warning of any carbon monoxide (CO) in your home. If its alarm goes off or if anyone shows symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, leave your home right away and then call 9-1-1.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can include:

  • confusion
  • dizziness
  • headaches
  • nausea
  • shortness of breath

Maintain your fuel-burning appliances and vents

A registered contractor should inspect all of your fuel-burning appliances and vents annually.

Find a contractor

Many homes have four to six appliances that can create CO, including:

  • fireplaces
  • furnaces
  • gas dryers
  • portable fuel heaters
  • stoves
  • water heaters
  • solid fuel burning appliances (such as wood stoves)

Test your carbon monoxide (CO) alarms

You should test your carbon monoxide (CO) alarms monthly and change their batteries at least once a year. Replace your alarms according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Landlords and tenants

Landlords must ensure that they install and maintain working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in rental properties. They must provide the manufacturer's maintenance instructions to their tenants. Landlords are also required to test all carbon monoxide (CO) alarms annually and replace their batteries if needed.

You must let your landlord know if your carbon monoxide (CO) alarm doesn't work. Removing the batteries or tampering with the detector is against the law.