Roads, Trails, Cycling

We maintain over 1,600 km of road, including over 120 km of gravel roads and 600 km of rural roads. 

Half Load Season 

To protect our roads, heavy truck travel is limited to local deliveries only. During the spring thaw when our roads are particularly vulnerable to damage, we further restrict vehicles to a maximum of 5 tonnes per axle. The “half-load” season usually runs from:

  • March 1 to April 30 for hardtop roads
  • March 1 to May 15 for gravel roads

For more information please contact Service Caledon at 905.584.2272 x.7750 or

Illegal Dumping

Dumping garbage bags, bins or waste of any kind on Town roads is illegal. Dumping poses environmental threats. The dumping of hazardous materials also causes public safety concerns. We have by-laws to protect the environment against illegal dumping, and laws and fines are also in place. Clean up efforts to remove illegal dumping can be very costly to the Town.

Do not touch, move or clean up any items that might have been dumped illegally. Contact us (905.584.2272 x7750) if you see someone dumping garbage outside of their regulated garbage collection. If you suspect suspicious materials were dumped, call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Try to provide a physical and vehicle description, and area location if you can.

If you have materials that you need to dispose of outside of your regular garbage collection, you can take this to one of the Peel Community Recycling Centres.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please review the FAQs if you have any questions about illegal dumping.

What do I do if I see garbage on the side of the road or somewhere else that it’s not supposed to be?

Residents should contact the Town (Service Caledon - 905.584.2272 x7750) directly if there has been a case of illegal dumping. Service Caledon staff will facilitate clean-up of the area with Road Operations.

Residents are strongly urged not to touch, move or clean up any illegal dumpings as content could be hazardous.

Contact us also if you see items such as litter, garbage bags, barrels, furniture, appliance or debris.

What do I do if I see someone dumping garbage bags, barrels or unknown materials where it’s not supposed to be, or if I see a suspicious vehicle driving away from a pile of unknown materials?
Contact the OPP immediately when you see suspicious vehicles dumping unknown materials (in the act), or immediately report any sightings after the fact: 1-888-310-1122. Information such as suspect physical descriptions, suspect vehicles and direction of travel are useful tools for investigators. 
What do I do if I have excess waste that is not collected as part of weekly waste collection? 

Property owners are encouraged to visit Peel Community Recycling Centres to dispose of any excessive garbage or waste that cannot be picked up as part of the regular weekly waste collection. 

Caledon locations: 

      Tuesday to Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 
      Sunday and Monday: Closed 

      Monday to Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 
      Sunday: Closed 

Where are these illegal dumpings taking place and what are the contents that are found?

Contents found can vary from incident to incident and may be hazardous. Caledon Fire & Emergency Services, Road Operations, OPP and other agencies work together to ensure appropriate steps are taken to clean the area(s) in question in a safe and responsible manner. 

Residents are strongly urged not to touch, move or clean up any illegal dumpings as content could be harmful.  

The OPP will occasionally share details about locations where illegal dumping has occurred. You can see these announcements at the OPP media centre