Building Permits

COVID-19 Update: Building Services will be open for service by appointment only, starting June 29 on Mondays and Wednesdays. Use our online booking service to schedule an appointment. Only new building permit applications will be accepted at these appointments and there will be a maximum of two people allowed per appointment. Health and safety measures will be in place to protect you and staff.

Do you need a building permit? For most construction projects, the answer is “yes.”

 Projects that require a building permit
  • Any structure greater than 10 m2 in area
  • Any structure less than 10 m2 in area that includes plumbing
  • Change of use
  • Demolition
  • Ground and wall signs
  • Install or modify HVAC and plumbing systems
  • Pool Enclosures (such as fences)
  • Decks (greater than 60cm above finished grade)
  • Renovations
  • Basement finish/ basement apartments
  • Addition to existing structures
  • Sewage systems (septic systems)
  • Temporary tents (single or group greater than 60 m2)
  • Other designated structures 

Contact us if you are unsure whether you need a building permit for your project.

Before you apply

Make sure you have the following:

  • A completed building permit application form
  • Applicable forms and checklists
  • All plans and specifications
  • All required fees (as set out in Schedule B in the Town of Caledon User Fees By-law)

How to apply for a building permit

To obtain a building permit, you will need complete a Building Permit Application submission. This can be done as an electronic submission, or a paper submission.

Electronic Submissions

Applications may be submitted for all small residential and miscellaneous projects, where plans are scaled to print on a page no larger than 11" x 17” in size.

 These projects include:
  • Decks
  • Sheds, Garages, Carports
  • Houses (including repeat permits for model homes)
  • Pool Enclosures (such as fences)
  • Residential additions
  • Temporary Tents
  • Demolition Permits
  • Ground/ Wall Signs
  Electronic submission requirements:
  • Documents are required to be submitted as an unprotected PDF
  • Only one file can be attached in each attachment field
  • Maximum size of all files cannot exceed 20 MB (If your attachments will exceed this limit, please contact us to discuss alternative options for your submission)
  • Documents being submitted must follow the below naming conventions
    • “Sheet Number” – “Attachment Type” – ” Project Location Address”

      • Examples:

        Permit Application Package – 1 Healey Road

        Truss Package – 1 Healey Road

        Septic Package – 1 Healey Road

        S1.1 – Site Plan – 1 Healey Road

        A1.1 – Architectural Drawings – 1 Healey Road

        P1.1 – Plumbing Data Sheet – 1 Healey Road

        M1.1 – HVAC Calculations –1 Healey Road

Note: Special characters in the file name, such as (&,. %*#@!”? /:’), will not allow you to complete the submission

 Submit an electronic application

Paper Submissions

For all other applications, please mail/courier or drop off the complete permit package to:

Town of Caledon
Building Services Division
6311 Old Church Road
Caledon, ON 
L7C 1J6

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure a complete application is submitted. For assistance, please review the forms or checklists applicable to your project for minimum submission requirements, or contact us directly prior to submitting your application.

What happens once an application is received?

Once an application has been received it will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy.

Complete Applications

If all required information has been received, staff will contact you to arrange for payment. Once payment is processed, the prescribed review timeframes as mandated by the Ontario Building Code will commence as outlined below:

  • 10 business days - residential
  • 15 business days - small buildings
  • 20 business days - large buildings
  • 30 business days - complex buildings

Incomplete Applications

If any required information is missing it will not be processed and staff will contact you.

Building permit revisions

If you need to make any revisions after your building permit is issued, submit the following:

The above revised submission can be sent by email or dropped off at the Town Hall drop box.