Compliance Letters and Building Records

Compliance Letters

The Town can issue compliance letters that provide information about a number of topics, including:

  • building permits
  • building violations
  • property standards orders
  • Zoning By-law violations

A compliance letter can also confirm if a subdivision agreement is being complied with, if there are amending agreements registered on title, if there are releases available from an agreement on title and if the Town holds sufficient securities to secure the obligations within the subdivision agreement.

If a property is listed on the Heritage Register, if it is designated, or if it is known to be (or has been) a cemetery, a compliance letter can confirm that. 

Such a letter can also confirm whether a property has an Official Plan designation and a particular zoning

A compliance letter can also be used to establish

  • an inspection station
  • a propane cylinder exchange program
  • a day nursery, or
  • a before/after school program

Before you apply

Make sure you have the following documents:

  • Contact information for the property owner, including name, address, phone number and email address (as identified on their government-issued I.D.)
  • Your (applicant) contact information, including name, address, phone number and email address (as identified on your government-issued I.D.)
  • Property information such as municipal address or roll number/ARN
  • Any other documents in PDF format including:
    • All Subdivision Agreement(s) if requesting information regarding the Agreement
    • A Location Map if requesting information relating to heritage listing, designations, archaeological sites and/or cemeteries, and
    • A current photograph of the property if requesting information relating to heritage designations.

Please note: There are fees for compliance letters. For more information our Fees By-law or contact us. 

Request a compliance letter

Building Records

The Town of Caledon's Building Services Division may have records for your property and can make them available to you.

Types of documents available may include: 

  • Property Survey/Site Plan
  • Permit Drawings/Blueprints/Floor Layouts
  • Septic Design
  • Inspection Records
  • Certificate of Final Inspection
  • Occupancy Permit
  • Other Documentation

If you decide to move forward with your request, there will be a non-refundable research fee of $51 as per the Town's current Fee's By-law.  The fee is payable at time of request and there is no guarantee that all documentation is available for your property.

Documentation related to your inquiry may not have been provided to us during the building application process. For example, your new home builder may not have provided us with a copy of your property survey. 

All requests for documentation must be submitted in advance to the Building Services Division by sending the completed application for information form to

A Building Services representative will be in contact with you once the completed form has been received.

For all copies of documentation available, the fees listed below are set out in the Town's current Fee's By-law

  • $0.70 + HST ($0.09) per page - black/white (letter/legal size)
  • $1.20 + HST ($0.16) per page - black/white (11"x17" size)
  • $1.20 + HST ($0.16) per page - colour (letter/legal size)
  • $2.52 + HST ($0.33) per page - colour (11"x17" size)
  • $6.20 + HST ($0.81) per page - black/white (survey size)