Building Permits

COVID-19 Update: Building Services will be open for service by appointment only, starting June 14 on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please call to schedule an appointment. Only new building permit applications will be accepted at these appointments and there will be a maximum of two people allowed per appointment. Health and safety measures will be in place to protect you and staff.

Want to set up or expand a patio/patio tent temporarily until January 1, 2022? We're here for you!  As part of our plan to help businesses reopen and recover, we have set up our patio's page to guide you through the process.

Do you need a building permit? For most construction projects, the answer is “yes.”

 Projects that require a building permit
  • House (single detached, semi detached or townhouse)
    • If construction, renovation, demolition, plumbing and water connection is needed, or
    • If a secondary dwelling is being constructed - e.g. basement apartment
  • Deck or porch (for new construction, alterations or additions)
    • If the structure has a roof, or 
    • If it is higher than 24" off the ground
  • Walkouts (for new construction, alterations or additions)
  • Pergola/trellis or gazebo
    • If greater than 10 square metres 
  • Garage/carport (for new construction, alterations or additions)
  • Accessory structure (for new construction, alterations or additions)
  • In-ground pool fence (for new construction)
  • Above-ground pool fence (for new construction and if a deck is being built around the pool)
  • All septic work
  • Any work that changes the occupancy nature of the building (e.g. industrial building converted to a place of worship or a barn to a wedding facility)
  • All commercial, industrial or institutional work (for new construction, alterations, additions, site services, plumbing, sprinklers, heating or change of use)
  • Barns, farm store buildings or manure storage facility (for new construction, alteration, additions, water connection plumbing, sprinklers or heating)
  • Permanent ground signs (for new construction, alterations or additions)
  • Mobile and temporary signs (if on private property advertising a business or public event)
  • Wall sign (for new construction)
  • Permanent tent (for new construction, alterations or additions)
  • Temporary tent (if larger than 60 metres squared or is closer than 3 metres to another structure)
  • Rooftop hot water system
  • Rooftop solar panels (if larger than 5 square metres)
  • Rooftop vegetation patch
  • Exterior retaining walls (If greater than 1 metre in height, adjacent to public property or located on private property to which public is admitted - e.g. shopping mall)
 Projects that do not require a building permit
  • House (single detached, semi detached or townhouse)
    • If work required is cosmetic, no structural impact, interior wall/floor/ceiling finishes (e.g. painting,
      changing floors, renovating a kitchen)
  • Deck or porch (for new construction, alterations or additions)
    • If it is less than 24" off the ground
  • Pergola/trellis or gazebo
    • If less than 10 square metres 
  • Garage/carport (if no structural alterations are required)
  • Accessory structure (for non-structural alterations)
  • In-ground pool fence (for demolition or removal)
  • Above-ground pool fence (for demolition or removal)
  • Hot tubs and swim spas (for new units, demolition or removal)
  • All commercial, industrial or institutional work (for cosmetic work- e.g. painting, changing floors,
    millwork, cabinetry)
  • Barns, farm store buildings or manure storage facility (for demolition)
  • Permanent ground signs (Permit not required if only changing message of the sign)
  • Mobile and temporary signs (If for real estate open house, or registered charity or Town affiliate community event)
  • Wall sign (for alteration, change of message, repair or demolition)
  • Temporary tent (if smaller than 60 metres squared or is not within 3 metres to another structure)
  • Rooftop solar panels (if smaller than 5 square metres)
  • Exterior retaining walls (If less than 1 metre in height and on private property, or if demolition is requireds)

Contact us if you are unsure whether you need a building permit for your project.

Before you apply

Make sure you have the following:

  • A completed building permit application form
  • Applicable forms and checklists
  • All plans and specifications
  • All required fees (as set out in Schedule B in the Town of Caledon User Fees By-law)

How to apply for a building permit

To obtain a building permit, you will need complete a Building Permit Application submission. This can be done as an electronic submission, or a paper submission.

Electronic Submissions

Applications may be submitted for all small residential and miscellaneous projects, where plans are scaled to print on a page no larger than 11" x 17” in size.

 These projects include:
  • Decks
  • Sheds, Garages, Carports
  • Houses (including repeat permits for model homes)
  • Pool Enclosures (such as fences)
  • Residential additions
  • Temporary Tents
  • Demolition Permits
  • Ground/ Wall Signs
  Electronic submission requirements:
  • Documents are required to be submitted as an unprotected PDF
  • Only one file can be attached in each attachment field
  • Maximum size of all files cannot exceed 20 MB (If your attachments will exceed this limit, please contact us to discuss alternative options for your submission)
  • Documents being submitted must follow the below naming conventions
    • “Sheet Number” – “Attachment Type” – ” Project Location Address”

      • Examples:

        Permit Application Package – 1 Healey Road

        Truss Package – 1 Healey Road

        Septic Package – 1 Healey Road

        S1.1 – Site Plan – 1 Healey Road

        A1.1 – Architectural Drawings – 1 Healey Road

        P1.1 – Plumbing Data Sheet – 1 Healey Road

        M1.1 – HVAC Calculations –1 Healey Road

Note: Special characters in the file name, such as (&,. %*#@!”? /:’), will not allow you to complete the submission

 Submit an electronic application

Paper Submissions

For all other applications, please mail/courier or drop off the complete permit package to:

Town of Caledon
Building Services Division
6311 Old Church Road
Caledon, ON 
L7C 1J6

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure a complete application is submitted. For assistance, please review the forms or checklists applicable to your project for minimum submission requirements, or contact us directly prior to submitting your application.

What happens once an application is received?

Once an application has been received it will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy.

Complete Applications

If all required information has been received, staff will contact you to arrange for payment. Once payment is processed, the prescribed review timeframes as mandated by the Ontario Building Code will commence as outlined below:

  • 10 business days - residential
  • 15 business days - small buildings
  • 20 business days - large buildings
  • 30 business days - complex buildings

Incomplete Applications

If any required information is missing it will not be processed and staff will contact you.

Building permit revisions

If you need to make any revisions after your building permit is issued, submit the following:

The above revised submission can be sent by email or dropped off at the Town Hall drop box.