Exercise caution: Prevent grass fires

Spring is upon us, and, with grass and brush starting to dry out, it is very easy for fire to spread uncontrollably with the smallest breeze.  Nearly all grass fires spread quickly, igniting brush, trees and homes. 

Caledon Fire & Emergency Services encourages the public to use caution when burning. Unattended burning is the most common cause of grass fires.  Burning carelessly and improperly discarding cigarette butts also pose hazards.

Launched in 2014, Caledon’s online burn permit application has been updated to include two new categories of permit: 

  • Open Air permits ($42) are for larger lots (at least a half-acre in size) to burn yard waste (but not grass clippings or leaves);
  • Recreational permits ($25) are for residential properties that meet minimum size/distance requirements;
  • Agricultural permits intended for agricultural properties.  These permits are NOT available online. They require an inspection, which must be arranged in advance by calling Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at 905.584.2272 x. 4303.

An “Open Air Burning Permit” must be obtained and are only permitted in approved areas. Permits are available online at www.caledon.ca or may be obtained in person at the Fire Administration Headquarters (6211 Old Church Road, Caledon East) between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Monday through Friday. Failure to obtain an open air burning permit may result in a fine and/or invoice as set out in the current Fees By-law.

Materials from your lawn, yard or garden are also being collected as yard waste by the Region of Peel. Yard waste pick up information can be found at www.peelregion.ca/waste/yard-waste.

If you have questions please contact Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at 905.584.2272 x. 4303 or by email at fire@caledon.ca. Visit our website at caledon.ca/fire.