Marriage Licensing

In the Province of Ontario, a Marriage Licence is required to get married. The Town of Caledon issues marriage licences, however, we do not conduct civil marriage ceremonies. Marriage Licences must be used within 90 days of issuance.

The Town of Caledon now offers a convenient online application system for marriage licences in collaboration with ServiceOntario. We encourage applicants to complete the forms and submit the required documents through the ServiceOntario website for a better service experience. 

You must contact Service Caledon to schedule an appointment prior to picking up your marriage licence by calling 905 584-2272 x. 7750.

If your documents are in a language other than English or French, you must provide a certified translation.

Apply for a Marriage Licence
Apply in-person at Service Caledon
  • Complete a marriage licence application
  • Bring completed application along with two pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One piece of identification for each person getting married must include their photo (see Accepted Identification)
  • Provide supporting documentation (for example: proof of divorce/death, if applicable)
  • Have at least one applicant attend in-person to pick up the licence with the two pieces of identification for each of you
  • Pay the licence fee of $159.14
Accepted Identification
  • Birth Certificate (Canadian or foreign)
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Driver’s Licence (Canadian or foreign)
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Photo Identity Card (other Canadian provinces/territories or foreign)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
  • Canadian Record of Landing
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Canadian Department of National Defence driver’s licence (Form DND 404)
  • Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Canadian Status Card
  • Canadian Conditional Release Identification Card
  • Nexus card
  • United States Green Card
  • Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Form IMM 1442)
  • Student Authorization/Study Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Visitor Record (Form IMM 1442)
  • Temporary Resident’s Permit (Form IMM 1442)–Minister’s Permit/Extension of Minister’s    Permit
If you are planning to remarry

If you are planning on remarrying in Ontario, there are a few additional documents you must provide.

If you were divorced in Canada:

You will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce. We do not accept photocopies.

If you were divorced outside of Canada:

 You will need to provide a completed Foreign Divorce Authorization to prove that you are no longer married. The province needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

Marriage licensing fee

The marriage licensing fee is $159.14. You can pay by cash, Interac, Visa or MasterCard.

Need more information? Visit