RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon


Petitions are used to express public opinion to Town of Caledon Council. A petition is a written request signed by individuals in the community and submitted to the Town for consideration. Petitions that meet the guidelines set out below may be used to request Town Council to take action on a specific issue.

Petition Guidelines

When preparing a petition for Council consideration please keep the following in mind:

  • The petition must be typed or legibly handwritten and printed on the Petition Form.
  • The petition must be dated.
  • It shall concern a subject within the authority of the Town.
  • The request should be clear, to the point and appear at the top of each page.
  • A return address for the person who initiated the petition must be included for correspondence purposes.
  • Petitioners must include their address and supply their signature. Petitioners cannot sign on behalf of someone else.
  • Signatures must be original and shall not be taped or pasted to the petition.
  • The petition shall not contain any obscene or improper matter or language

How to Submit a Petition

  1. Complete and submit the Petition Form to the Town Clerk for consideration at an upcoming Committee of the Whole meeting.
  • The completed Petition Form may be:
    • delivered in person to the Legislative Services Section (3rd floor of Town Hall, 6311 Old Church Road),
    • mailed to Town Hall, Attn: Town Clerk, 6311 Old Church Road, Caledon ON L7C 1J6,
    • emailed (

Please note:

  • If in the opinion of the Town Clerk the petition contains obscene or improper language the Town Clerk shall determine whether it will be included with the Agenda.
  • If the petition is several pages, only the first page will be included in the meeting agenda.  The Town Clerk will identify the number of signatures included in the petition for information. Town staff will redact personal information (with the exception of names and signatures) to protect personal privacy should the matter go before Council.
  • A copy of the petition and Council's direction regarding the petition will be forwarded to the appropriate department for action and response.

Additional Information

For assistance regarding petitions to Town of Caledon Council, please contact the Legislative Services Section at 905.584.2272 x. 2366 or by email (