RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Freedom of Information (FOI) and Access Requests

How do I make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request?

Individuals who want to submit a formal Freedom of Information (FOI) request must complete an Information Access/Correction request.  Please provide detailed information about the records requested, including the property location (if applicable) and date range.  This will assist staff to conduct a faster search and reduce costs associated with the request. A mandatory application fee of $5.00 must accompany the request.

Freedom of Information (FOI) Request (pdf)

Please contact the FOI Coordinator for more information regarding the FOI process or to electronically submit the completed Freedom of Information (FOI) Request form or mail the completed form, along with the $5.00 application fee to:

        Freedom of Information (FOI) Coordinator
        Town of Caledon
        6311 Old Church Road
        Caledon, ON  L7C 1J6

Fee Estimates and Photocopying Charges

Pursuant to the Act, search time and photocopying charges are applicable to all requests for information. If it appears that the cost of processing the request will be more than $25, the Town will provide a fee estimate before any further steps to respond to the request is taken. Additionally, if the cost estimate is $100 or more, a deposit of 50% of the estimated fees are required to be paid before the processing of your request is completed.  All fees must be paid in full prior to the release of the records.

How long will it take?

The Act sets out specific time limits that the Town must follow when processing requests for information. The Town has 30 calendar days from the date a complete request is received (including the $5 application fee) to respond to the request.  The Act permits extensions to the 30 day time period.

What if I am not satisfied with the Town's decision regarding my access request?

If you are not satisfied with the Town's decision regarding your access request, you can file an appeal with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. The Information and Privacy Commissioner is an independent body which makes impartial decisions under the Act.

If you decide to file an appeal, you must write to the Commissioner and request a review of the Town's decision within 30 days of receiving the decision letter. You must also submit a copy of your original request for information, a copy of the Town's decision letter, and an appeal fee of $25. The correct fee must accompany your appeal and may be paid by cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance.

The Commissioner's Office is located at 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 1A8, Telephone: 416.326.3333 or toll-free 1.800.387.0073. You can also reach the office at

Building Permits, Plans and/or Drawings

Building permits, plans and drawings are copyrighted.  The Town provides routine access to these types of records to the registered property owner or property manager or with written consent from the property owner directly through the Building Services division. Please contact the Town's Building Services division directly by telephone 905.584.2272 x. 2233 or in person at Town Hall.  Fees for search and photocopying will apply to all requests.

If you are not the registered property owner, you must submit a formal FOI request for these records.  See below for "How do I make an FOI Request?"

Municipal Law Enforcement Files

Records relating to Municipal Law Enforcement (property standards, animal control and by-law enforcement) require a formal FOI request to be submitted. Records that contain an individuals personal information or information that was supplied in confidence will be removed from the records that were requested.  Please note that active enforcement files will not be released through a formal FOI request pursuant to Section 8.1 of the Act.

Property Surveys and Reference Plans

The Town does hold property surveys for individual properties.  Surveys may be available from or by contacting local surveyors or the lawyer who completed your land purchase registration.

Reference Plans are available from the Land Registry office located at 1 Gateway Blvd., Suite 100, Brampton, Ontario L6T 0G3. Phone: 905-874-4008. 


If you have any questions regarding Freedom of Information (FOI) or Access Requests, please contact the FOI Coordinator  by phone at 905.584.2272 x. 4168 or by email at

You can also visit Town Hall, Legislative Services Section, 6311 Old Church Road, Caledon, ON L7C 1J6, during regular business hours - Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

To access this information in an alternate format, please contact the Legislative Services Division at 905-584-2272 x. 2366 or email at