RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

COVID-19 Information

COVID-19 updates

The latest news, updates and information from the Town of Caledon about the COVID-19 response.

Questions? email us at

The latest update on the number of cases in Caledon

On this page

Media releases and public notices

(April 15) Caledon launches outreach campaign to support local business

(March 31) Caledon to close outdoor recreation spaces

(March 30) Caledon to extend closures

(March 24) Caledon Defers Tax Payments in Response to COVID-19

(March 24) Mayor Allan Thompson to hold virtual Town Hall March 24 at 3:00 p.m.

(March 24) Caledon to hold emergency Council session in light of COVID-19

(March 19) COVID-19 Update on Town services, facilities, programs

(March 18) COVID-19 Update: Town of Caledon declares State of Emergency

(March 13) Caledon to close facilities, cancel programs and adjust service levels in response to COVID-19

(March 12) Caledon Activates Emergency Operations Centre in light of COVID-19


Visit our special page for businesses and COVID-19:

Shop local

Back to top

Town Services

The Town of Caledon continues to provide services during the COVID-19 pandemic.  A full list of online services is available at


Resources for Adult55+ in Caledon requiring assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.


The Caledon Animal Shelter is closed to the public. Pet adoptions are closed and no donations will be accepted at this time. Animal Services will continue to respond to animal related urgent concerns such as dogs and livestock at large, sick and/or injured wildlife, etc.  For more information call 905.584.2272 x. 4698.


Inspection services have resumed for all permits. All occupied buildings will be inspected by remote video until further notice. (Updated May 15, 2020) 


Applications for all small residential and miscellaneous projects may now be submitted electronically. Examples of projects that can be submitted through this method include decks, sheds, garages, houses, carports, pool enclosures, additions, temporary tents, demolition permits, and ground/ wall signs. All other applications will be accepted via mail or courier. (Updated May 15, 2020) 


Municipal Law Enforcement Officers are attending to urgent, high-priority calls and enforcement needs in the community. For more information call 905.584.2272 x. 3462.


All branches of the library system are closed. Residents are encouraged to delay returning borrowed materials until regular services resume. Overdue fines will not be incurred during this time. On-line materials including e-books and streaming materials can be accessed via the Caledon Public Library website. Library staff are available for support Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. by text (416.828.7086) or email ( (Updated March 31)


Claims will continue to be adjudicated and anyone wishing to submit a claim can do so online at


Town projects are continuing, subject to external service providers.


During the declared state of emergency Town Hall is closed to the public and Caledon Council is meeting virtually. On a temporary basis video recordings of Council Meetings and “Highlights” of Special Council Meetings relating to COVID-19 are being provided at


The Town continues to provide phone and email service through Service Caledon at 905.584.2272 x. 7750 ( Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and through


Town Hall, community centres, recreation centres and all other Town offices and buildings are closed to the public.


Vendors will continue to be paid.


The Caledon Fire and Emergency Services administration building remains closed to the public but the Town’s response to emergency incidents remains unchanged. Until further notice fire inspections will be limited to those that are related to an immediate threat to life or to unoccupied buildings during the construction phase. At this time a total burn ban is in effect and burn permits are currently unavailable.


The Town is currently NOT issuing marriage licenses. This service will be available when Town Hall is open to the public. (Updated May 19)


Parking passes can be obtained online at The rules of the program are still in effect with no further changes. For more information call 905.584.2272 x. 3462.


Further to the provincial emergency declaration on March 30, all outdoor recreation spaces including parks and playgrounds are closed. Several measures have been implmented to ensure parks are not being used. (Updated April 1)

Updated details on service levels.


No new development applications are being accepted at present. Applications already submitted will still be processed. Any associated public meetings are cancelled until further notice.  Telephone consultations will continue.


For non-emergency calls please contact the Caledon detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122. For emergencies call 9-1-1. More on reporting individuals or businesses not complying to the provincial rules and protocols.


All Provincial Offences Act matters scheduled from March 16 through to and including July 6, 2020 will be rescheduled to a later date. For more information visit the Ontario Court of Justice.  You can also contact the Provincial Offences Administration by email as follows:


The procurement process continues. Bids and tenders are available online at



All recreation facilities and community centres are closed until further notice.


Memberships will be extended for the duration of the closure.

Spring Programs

All spring session programs are cancelled.  

If you registered online, you will receive a refund. If you registered in person or over the phone, your account will be credited. All refunds and credits will take up to 2-3 weeks to process.  

Should you wish to have this value refunded, please send your request to To expedite the refund, you may add your banking information to your online profile. (Updated April 8, 2020) 

Summer Programs

Due to the extended facility closure, summer programs including camps have been cancelled up until July 6, 2020. All affected programs will be updated, and registrants will be notified by email of any changes. (Updated May 15, 2020)


Rentals before July 2 have been cancelled. Residents will receive a refund or credit on their account. Refunds will be issued automatically and will take three to four weeks to process. (Updated May 15, 2020)

Should you wish to have the credit value refunded, please send your request through to


All road maintenance operations continue. (Updated May 20, 2020)


In response to the COVID-19 pandemic the Town is allowing the deferral of tax payments. For more information visit


Town of Caledon-owned trails are open. Local access by foot or bicycle is welcome but in order to discourage gatherings all parking lots are closed.  To avoid having your vehicle ticketed and/or towed, please do not park where parking is prohibited.  Please keep in mind that all provincial parks and conservation areas are closed.  (Updated April 16)  


Effective Monday March 23, 2020, Mayfield West Route 81, which is operated by Brampton Transit is cancelled until further notice. The Bolton Line is still operating. To promote physical distancing of riders, some seats have been taped off and buses will by-pass passenger pick-up from bus stops if there are no available seats on the bus. 



There are no changes to garbage collection, but recycling centres will only accept debit and credit payments. Check for more Regional changes and closures: Temporary Service Disruptions.


Peel Public Health is recommending the closure of all childcare centres, before and after school programs and March Break camps from March 16 until April 5, 2020.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Is the Town still providing services?

The Town is still providing emergency response, road maintenance, enforcement and other core services.

Although staffing levels have been adjusted the Town, through Service Caledon, is providing service by phone (905.584.2272 x. 7750) and by email ( 

In addition many Town services such as tax payments, parking passes and burn permits are available online. For a list of online services visit (Updated March 19)

Q: The Province has announced the reopening of some activities and businesses. When will the Town reopen facilities, recreation centres, sports fields, community centres, parks and outdoor amenities? 

The Chief Medical Officer of Health for Ontario as well as the Peel Acting Medical Officer of Health have made it clear that amenities like those listed above should not be made available for public use until it is safe to do so. Our goal is to reopen facilities, resume programs and restore services to normal as soon as it is safe to do so. We are developing a phased approach that focuses on the health of both our residents and staff.    (Updated May 21, 2020)

Q. How will you make sure that employees for the Town do not have COVID-19?

As regular Town policy, staff who are ill are strongly encouraged not to come to work. We have enhanced sanitization and cleaning protocols and staff are also following the advice of Peel Public Health to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

Back to top


Q: How is the Town helping taxpayers who are suffering financially because of COVID-19?

  • The Town is deferring property tax payments. For more information visit
  • The Town is working with the Region of Peel to examine other possible measures.

Q: What is the Town doing to maintain a sound financial position in response to COVID-19 pandemic? (Updated April 15)

The Town is taking several steps:

  • Non-essential capital projects are being deferred
  • Recruitment for all but essential positions is on hold
  • Approximately 300 casual staff have been put on leave
  • Staff is reviewing further cost-saving measures

Q: How is COVID-19 affecting the Town’s financial position?

The Town’s revenues and expenses have been affected by COVID-19:

  • Revenues are lower due to the cancellation of recreation programs, facility bookings and other programs/services
  • The Town has incurred unexpected expenses as part of its response to COVID-19
  • Expenses (e.g. utilities) are lower in some cases because of facility closures
  • The Town has re-focused staff and resources, where necessary, to respond to the challenge of COVID-19
  • Despite the closure of offices and facilities, the Town continues to provide services for the public.
  • A number of Town services are available online (see a full list at
  • Service Caledon continues to provide phone service Monday to Friday during regular business hours at 905-584-2272 (or by email at

Back to top


Q: How are you ensuring that parks are not being used and remain closed?

Several measures have already been implemented:

  • The leash-free park access gate has been closed and locked.
  • All tennis court gates are closed and locked.
  •  Any park or parking lot with gated access has been closed and locked.
  • Barricades have been placed in parks that have parking lots.

Staff are also doing the following:  

  •  Posting signage in all parks.
  •  Wrapping caution tape at the bottom of playground structures and tops of slides.
  •  Wrapping and zip tying swing sets.
  •  Securing mesh to the top of basketball hoops.

Q: Are parks still being maintained as per usual?

Parks are currently closed and are operating at about half-staff capacity for the foreseeable future. This is so that staff can practice physical distancing. Regular park maintenance like cutting the grass, emptying garbage bins and tree services will occur less frequently. (updated May 5)

Back to top


Q. Where do I get the latest public health information?

Peel Public Health is the lead agency in the Region of Peel. It is working with the Public Health Agency of Canada, Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario, local health providers and community partners to monitor the risk and take protective actions as needed. For more information visit or call Peel Public Health at 905-584-2216. (Updated March 19)

Q. Should I get tested?

If you think you need to be tested for COVID-19, please take this self-assessment.

If you think you have 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use this self-assessment to help determine if you need to seek further care.

Q. Where do we go to get tested for COVID-19? (Updated March 19)

If, after taking the self-assessment, you need clinical assessment,

  • Contact your primary care provider (for example, family doctor). Let them know that you have used this self-assessment tool.
  • Contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 and speak with a registered nurse. Let them know that you have used this self-assessment tool.
  • Or, contact the public health unit nearest you:
    • Region of Peel: Peel Public Health at 905-584-2216
    • Orangeville: Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 1-800-265-7293 x. 7006 The assessment centre at the Headwaters Health Care Centre is located at 140 Rolling Hills Drive, Orangeville (map). Please do not go to the assessment centre unless you have symptoms of COVID-19. 

Q. Where can we learn about the symptoms of COVID-19?

Please visit the Public Health Agency of Canada for information about symptoms and treatment, travel advice, how to be prepared and about Canada’s national response. 

Q: How is the Town enforcing the closure of bars, restaurants and gatherings of five people or less and all non-essential businesses?

If there are issues or concerns of non-compliance, please contact the OPP. 

  • Phone (non-emergency): 1.888.310.1122

Once the complaint is received, OPP Constables will conduct an initial inspection and determine compliance efforts. OPP Constables may lay charges as deemed appropriate under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA).

Q: How are you ensuring that parks are not being used and remain closed?

Several measures have already been implemented:

  • The leash-free park access gate has been closed and locked.
  • All tennis court gates are closed and locked.
  • Any park or parking lot with gated access has been closed and locked.
  • Barricades have been placed in parks that have parking lots.

Staff are also doing the following:

  • Posting signage in all parks.
  • Wrapping caution tape at the bottom of playground structures and tops of slides.
  • Wrapping and zip tying swing sets.
  • Securing mesh to the top of basketball hoops.

Government websites

Government of Canada

Government of Ontario

Region of Peel Public Health

Roles and responsibilities of various levels of Government
(view larger image)

Back to top

Stay up to date

Get the latest news and information about COVID-19 from the Town of Caledon:


Follow @Your Caledon on Twitter and Facebook.


Get emergency alerts to your mobile device. Download our app


Sign up for our weekly newsletter.


Subscribe to The Business Report, the monthly newsletter from the Economic Development Office

Back to top