Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that you can't see, smell or taste. Over 65 per cent of all deaths and injuries from CO happen in homes.

You must have a working CO detector outside of all sleeping areas in your home. For added protection, it is recommended that you install CO detectors on every storey of your home.

Make sure that you never use outdoor fuel-burning appliances such as barbeques, camping stoves, and propane heaters in your home. Only use them outdoors.

Know what to do

A working CO detector gives warning of any CO in your home. If its alarm goes off or if anyone shows symptoms of CO poisoning, leave your home right away and then call 9-1-1.

Symptoms of CO poisoning can include:

  • confusion
  • dizziness
  • headaches
  • nausea
  • shortness of breath

Maintain your fuel-burning appliances and vents

A registered contractor should inspect all of your fuel-burning appliances and vents annually.

Find a contractor

Many homes have four to six appliances that can create CO, including:

  • fireplaces
  • furnaces
  • gas dryers
  • portable fuel heaters
  • stoves
  • water heaters
  • solid fuel burning appliances (such as wood stoves)

Test your CO detectors

You should test your CO detectors monthly and change their batteries at least once a year. Replace your detectors according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Landlords and tenants

Landlords must ensure that they install and maintain working CO detectors in rental properties. They must provide the manufacturer's maintenance instructions to their tenants. Landlords are also required to test all CO detectors annually and replace their batteries if needed.

You must let your landlord know if your CO detector doesn't work. Removing the batteries or tampering with the detector is against the law.