RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Criminal Record Checks and Police Checks

Criminal record checks and police checks are required for a variety of purposes including employment, adoption, international travel, volunteer work, citizenship, name change, student placement or to obtain a record suspension (formerly pardon). Learn more about the requirements for criminal record checks and vulnerable sector checks.

Please note: Requests can take up to two weeks to complete.


  • Are you a Caledon resident? (The OPP Caledon detachment can complete criminal record checks only for individuals who live in Caledon.)
  • Complete the form for a criminal record check and/or vulnerable sector check.
  • Do you have two pieces of identification (one of which must have a photo)? PLEASE NOTE: Social Insurance Numbers or Health Cards are NOT accepted.

Vulnerable Sector Checks

Vulnerable Sector Checks are conducted if you will have access to or be in a position of trust or authority over children or people who are dependent or at greater risk of being harmed. Learn more

You must have a letter from the organization / institution (taxi company, senior centre, not-for-profit, school, sports organization, college, etc.). 

  • The letter must be on company/organization letterhead.
  • It must be a standalone letter and NOT part of another document. If you have received an offer of employment, for example, that requires a Vulnerable Sector Check, you still need a separate letter written expressly for that purpose. 
  • It must be addressed to the attention of the Ontario Provincial Police.
  • It must state "Vulnerable Sector Check" is needed.
  • It must include your NAME and POSITION.
  • If you are a VOLUNTEER, the letter must clearly state "volunteer position, applicant is not being paid."
  • The letter must be signed by a representative of the company / organization.

View sample letter (pdf)


The fee is $25.00, payable only in cash. No debit or credit is available at this time. Please note: This fee is waived for volunteers.


The person applying for the record check must be the person who picks it up at the Caledon OPP detachment.  We cannot provide the documents to a family member or friend or anyone else EXCEPT the applicant. 


Bring your completed application, identification and money to the Caledon OPP detachment (map) during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).  

criminal record checks