RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Heritage Resources

On this page


Caledon Heritage Foundation

Website: www.caledonheritagefoundation.com

Since 2006, the Caledon Heritage Foundation (CHF) has been working as a charitable, non-profit organization to promote heritage conservation and education within Caledon.

Current projects include the restoration of the Melville White Church on Mississauga Road in partnership with the Belfountain Heritage Society, and the release of a children’s book “The Story of Caledon Then and Now”.


Heritage Caledon

This committee advises the Town about heritage matters. Learn more


Hills of Heritage

Hills of Heritage is a locally produced, independent blog about local history, with an emphasis on Caledon (not affiliated with the Town of Caledon). 

back to top


Local History Societies

Albion-Bolton Historical Society

Contact:
Raymond Bottoms, President
905.857.1369

The Albion-Bolton Historical Society was established in 1974 and is an affiliate of the Ontario Historical Society. The objectives of the Society are to arouse interest in the story of the people and places of the district of Albion-Bolton; to collect, classify, edit and preserve information on the history of the area; and, to disseminate its knowledge and material to the general public by publishing information and holding public meetings. The Albion-Bolton Historical Society has in its care an extensive collection of early Bolton photographs. It holds regular meetings throughout the fall, winter and spring, usually on the third Monday of each month and has a variety of guest speakers on many diverse and interesting topics pertinent to the heritage of the area. Each year, the first Sunday in June - rain or shine -- a walking tour is planned to visit a different part of town. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Belfountain Heritage Society

Website: www.belfountainheritage.com

The Belfountain Heritage Society was formed in 1992 to protect and preserve the heritage of the hamlet of Belfountain and the surrounding area. It became affiliated with the Ontario Historical Society in 1994, and is incorporated. The Society is made up of residents of Belfountain and nearby villages. The BHS has several on-going projects, including:

  • Restoration of the c.1837 Melville White Church (the Society's largest project)
  • Protection of heritage properties in Belfountain and area
  • Restoration and upgrading of the c.1894 Belfountain Community Hall
  • Recognition of heritage properties in Belfountain by placement of heritage plaques on buildings.

BHS Executive:

President - Sarah Bohan 519.316.0060
Vice-President - Carolyn Roche
Secretary - Katherine Tremble-Taylor

Caledon East - Main Street North 1919 by William CannonCaledon East and District Historical Society

Web site: http://www.cedhs.ca/

Contact: 
Donna Davies, President
905.584.0352 e-mail: donnadavies@rogers.com

Address:
Caledon East and District Historical Society,
Box 37, Caledon ON L7C 3L8T

PHOTO CREDIT: Photo at right by William Cannon courtesy of Peter Elms. More info >>>

The Caledon East and District History Society, forerunner of the Caledon East and District Historical Society, was formed in the winter of 1984-85 when a small group of history buffs decided to make their informal recreation room get-togethers open to the community. The first public meeting was held on September 1985 in the St. James Parish hall. In early 1987, the group officially became affiliated with the Ontario Historical Society. Meetings are held at 7:30 p.m. on the last Wednesday of January, March, May, September and November. The current membership is approximately 90 and meetings are presently held in the St. James Anglican Church Hall on Old Church Road in Caledon East. New members are always welcome. Membership fee is $20. As described in its constitution, the Society's mission is to:

  • Promote and stimulate interest in the history of the people and places of Caledon East and district
  • Collect, classify, edit and preserve information relating to this district
  • Disseminate material so collected by publishing, holding meetings for the presentation of papers and discussion, and by marking historic sites.

Caledon Village Heritage

Contact:
Fay McCrea
519.927.5370

Caledon Village Heritage has compiled a Walking Tour of the village and presented plaques to the owners of ten historical buildings. A records collection of the oral and pictorial history of the village and surrounding area is in progress. To contribute photographs or other historical documents relating to Caledon Village, please contact Fay McCrea.

back to top


Museum of Dufferin

Website: www.dufferinmuseum.com

The Dufferin County Museum & Archives (DCMA) is located at the intersection of Highway 89 and Airport Road in Mulmur Township. It aims to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of Dufferin County, by collecting and displaying artifacts and archival material that relate to the County's development. The DCMA's collection also contains historic buildings from Dufferin County, including a circa 1850s log house, and Orange Lodge building, and a CPR flagging station.

back to top


Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives

Website: https://www.pama.peelregion.ca/en/index.asp 

The Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) serves the Region of Peel (Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga). Within the community, PAMA partners with community-based cultural, social services, health, arts and heritage organizations. 

back to top


Contact

For more information, visit the Heritage section or contact Douglas McGlynn, Heritage|Urban Design Planner by email at douglas.mcglynn@caledon.ca or by phone at 905.584.2272 x. 4232.

back to top