RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon

Local History

The Town of Caledon was established on January 1, 1974 in conjunction with the creation of regional government.  Representing an amalgamation of the former County of Peel townships of Albion, Caledon and the northern half of Chinguacousy, as well as the Villages of Bolton and Caledon East, the Town of Caledon forms the northern municipality of the present Region of Peel.  The name 'Caledon' was chosen through public referendum in 1973; the other choices on the ballot were 'Albion' and 'Cardwell', the latter being an historic electoral district from 1867-1908 that encompassed the Town of Orangeville and four neighbouring townships.

The County of Peel was created in 1805 following the purchase by the British Crown of the southern part of the Mississauga Tract on the shore of Lake Ontario.  The former townships of Albion, Caledon and Chinguacousy were established as part of the 'New Survey' of the County of Peel, which greatly extended the northern boundary of the county following purchase of the remainder of the Mississauga Tract in 1818.  The lot and concession grid pattern of the 'New Survey' was distinct from that of the 'Old Survey', with a different orientation of concessions and lot dimensions.  The 200 acre lots of the 'New Survey' were typically granted in square 100 acre parcels, a configuration intended to facilitate farming and access to transportation corridors.

Surveyed in 1818-1819, the townships of Albion, Caledon and Chinguacousy were opened for settlement in 1820. Albion Township comprised eleven concessions laid out west to east.  In Caledon and Chinguacousy townships, six concessions were laid out on either side of Hurontario Street, also known as Centre Road (and currently known as Provincial Highway 10). As this centre baseline duplicated the numbering of the concessions, concessions in these two townships were further denoted by 'West of Hurontario Street' (WHS) or 'East of Hurontario Street' (EHS).

Early settlements in the townships developed around water-powered mill sites on the Credit and Humber rivers, and at various crossroads. The arrival of the Toronto Grey & Bruce, Hamilton & Northwestern and Credit Valley railways  in the 1870s spurred further settlements at various junctions. Development was also influenced by the area's major landforms, including the Peel Plain, the Niagara Escarpment and the Oak Ridges Moraine. While some historic hamlets have disappeared over time, Caledon's present-day communities continue to reflect early settlement patterns.

Trees

 

For more information

For more information, visit the Heritage section or contact Douglas McGlynn, Heritage|Urban Design Planner by email at douglas.mcglynn@caledon.ca or by phone at 905.584.2272 x. 4232.