RSS IconRSS Print IconPrint Text Size Plus icon Minus icon


Prior to the issuance of a building permit from the Town, the following items may be required to be approved or received:

Zoning By-Law Compliance

If your proposal does not comply with the Town's Zoning By-law, you may have to seek permission from the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance. A building permit cannot be issued until the zoning infraction is rectified or the committee's variance is granted.

Site Plan Control

If your property is in an area subject to site plan control, you may have to submit an application for site plan approval to the Town's Development Section. A building permit cannot be issued until site plan approval is attained.

Water Supply

Contact the Region of Peel Public Works Department for information on connection to water services and contact the Region of Peel Health Department for well approvals.

Flood Plains & Watercourses

If the property is within a flood plain or contains a watercourse or either of these items are located within close proximity, approval may be required from the appropriate conservation athority. Contact the Development Section to determine which conservation authority (listed below) you need to contact:

Niagara Escarpment Commission

If your property is located within the Niagara Escarpment Plan (NEP) area, then you may require a Niagara Escarpment Development Permit. Contact the Development Section to determine whether you are located within the NEP.

Provincial Highways

If you are constructing any of the items below, approval may be required from the Ministry of Transportation (MTO):

  • Building within 395 metres (1296 feet) of a centrepoint of an intersection of a Provincial Highway
  • Building within 45 metres (148 feet) of a Provincial Highway
  • Installing a new entrance or change of entrance on a Provincial Highway

Entrance Culverts