New! Online Tax Payments by Credit Card
Property taxes can now be paid online by credit card (ONLINE ONLY).
Plastiq, an online third party payment service provider, allows you to use your credit card to make payments more conveniently through their secure online system. Plastiq provides the option to pay your property taxes be using your credit card. A fee of 2.5% (as of October 2016) of the amount paid is levied by Plastiq for each transaction. (Rates are set by Plastiq and may change without notice. Please verify rate directly from Plastiq prior to making your payment.)
This is an online payment option only. Credit card payments for property taxes can not be processed in person.
You are responsible for ensuring that the Town receives your property tax payment by the payment due date. When using a third-party service provider you must clearly understand the terms and conditions of the services you are using.
Avoid late fees!
Even if you pay today, the Town may not receive your payment immediately. The Town will process your payment as of the date Plastiq sends us the funds, not the date you make your payment. The Town may charge penalties and/or interest if your payment is late. Please allow up to 6 days for your payment to reach the Town. Please contact Plastiq for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of using Plastiq?
- Convenience of paying quickly
- Access to the rewards, points, or miles of your credit card
- Payment scheduling tools
- Ability to pay from any internet-enabled device
- Control over how you pay
What is Plastiq?
- Plastiq is a service that empowers cardholders to make payments for tuition, taxes, utility bills and more with their card of choice.
Can I make a credit card payment for my property taxes at Town Hall?
- No, credit card payments for property taxes are not accepted at Town Hall. Credit card payments can only be made for property taxes by using a third party payment service provider such as Plastiq.
What do I need to access the service?
Taxpayers should be ready with:
- The 19 digit property tax roll number located on your tax bill
- The balance owed on your property tax bill
- Your credit card
Why is there a convenience fee?
- Third party payment service providers, such as Plastiq, charge a convenience fee to use their service. The fee covers payment handling and processing charges. The fee is 2.5% (as of October 2016) of your bill payment amount. Please note: rates are set by Plastiq and may change without notice. Please verify rate directly from Plastiq prior to making your payment. Plastiq is an independent company providing a service to you.The Town of Caledon does not receive any part of the convenience fee.
- For each transaction using Plastiq, two charges will appear on your credit card statement: 1) the principal amount of the payment and 2) the service fee.
If I make a payment online with my credit card through Plastiq, how long does it take for the payment to go through?
- Once a payment is submitted, Plastiq charges the credit card used and channels the transaction to the merchant in the form in which they best receive it. If merchants receive payments electronically, such as your municipality does for property tax payments, then payments made through Plastiq will typically reach them in 3-6 business days, similar to any credit card transaction. Please account for weekends and holidays
Can I still pay in other ways?
- Yes, the Town is simply adding a new option that allows you to make payments with a credit card.