Assistance for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities
The Town offers a $468 tax rebate on annual property taxes for low income seniors and low income persons with disabilities who own and occupy their own home.
The rebate is applied to your property tax account to offset property taxes.
Seniors must receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement, and own and live on the property for which they are applying.
In addition to the residency requirements noted above, persons with disabilities must be in receipt of the Income Supplement under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act (ODSPA).
How to Apply
You must apply for this program before December 31st of the year being applied for.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by April 30th each year to ensure the rebate is processed before the last property tax installment is due.
Complete, print and mail the Application Form (pdf) or request a form by calling 905.584.2272 x. 4216.
To qualify the all registered property owners or spouse of the owner must:
- Be 65 years of age or more by the date of application;
- AND Be in receipt of the monthly guaranteed income supplement as provided under Part II of the Old Age Security Act (Canada);
- AND Be continuously assessed as the owner and reside on residential real property within the Town of Caledon for a period of not less than 1 year immediately preceding the date of application.
For Persons with Disabilities:
- Be in receipt of benefits under the Ontario Disability Support Program Act (ODSPA);
- AND, be continuously assessed as the owner and reside on residential real property within the Town of Caledon for a period of not less than 1 year immediately preceding the date of application.
Please note that all registered owners of the property must be either an eligible senior or eligilble person with disabilities or their spouse. Properties under other ownerships are not eligible for this rebate program.
This residential property tax rebate, where allowed, will be an outright grant made by the Town and will not entail repayment of any kind.
The Application Form (pdf) is also available at the Corporate Services Department at Town Hall, 6311 Old Church Road, Caledon, Ontario, L7C 1J6. For further information or assistance, please call 905.584.2272 x. 4216.