CALLING ALL CALEDON SCHOOLS! - Enter the Climate Change School Video Contest
The Town is updating its Community Climate Change Action Plan and we want to hear from our local schools about how we as a community can tackle local climate change. (i.e., actions and projects for reducing greenhouse gas emissions).
Who can Participate?
- Classes from Grades 1 to 12 (one video per class)
- Videos must not exceed 3-minutes (i.e., song, rap, speech, parody, infomercial)
- Written approval from the school Principal is required
How to Submit?
- Submission deadline: 11:59 pm, April 17, 2017
- Video must be in .mp4 format (i.e., format used by mobile phones)
- Submit your video by (i) sharing a private YouTube link with the Town; (ii) emailing your video to the Town at firstname.lastname@example.org ; or (ii) drop-off or mail in a USB key containing your video to the Town.
Attention: Shannon Carto
Caledon Town Hall
Finance and Infrastructure Department
6311 Old Church Road
Caledon, ON L7C 1J6
What Can You Win?
- Pizza Lunch and Award Delivered by Town Staff
- Video featured on Town's website, presented to Town Council, and showcased at Landmark Cinemas.
- Results announced on April 21st in recognition of Earth Day (April 22nd)
Partners for Climate Protection
Climate change is a long-term change in temperature and weather patterns due to increased greenhouse gas emissions, largely caused by human activity. As a member of Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) - a network of 200+ Canadian Municipalities who have committed to climate change action, the Town of Caledon has made reducing greenhouse gas emissions a priority.
PCP has outline five milestones for participating municipalities
- Create a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and forecast
- Set emission reduction targets
- Develop a local action plan
- Implement the local action plan
- Monitor progress and report results
Joining in 2003, the Town has since fulfilled milestones 1 through 3, conducting an extensive inventory of emissions, setting short and long term goals for reduction and producing the Community Climate Change Action Plan (1,047 kb, pdf).
Community Climate Change Action Plan
The Action Plan was created with the partnership of local stakeholders and community working groups and is progressive and wide reaching, covering transportation, green development, energy, schools, agriculture, community awareness, tree planting and naturalization, waste, local food and longer term actions. The twenty-one page guide outlines environmental initiatives, bringing together proposed actions, targets and responsibilities, to ensure effective implementation.
The current greenhouse gas reduction target is set at 17% below 2006 emission levels by 2021. To achieve this goal the Town is currently working on milestone #4, implementation of the action plan. Working with stakeholders in the various sectors outlined in the plan, and engaging the local community, Climate Change is a priority consideration in local activity. View the Other Resources page for information about what you can do imporve climate change.
Peel Climate Change Strategy
The Town of Caledon has also collaborated with the Region of Peel, Mississauga, Brampton, and the conservation authorities in the development the Peel Climate Change Strategy (701 kb, pdf). The strategy calls for an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emission below 1990 levels.
To achieve this target, the plan outlines a range of mitigation actions that are to be taken by the Region and municipalities. In addition to climate change mitigation, the Peel strategy recognizes the need climate change adaption actions.
For more information, please write to us at email@example.com or call 905.584.2272.